Sunday 18 January 2015

Sourcing styling & costume

As my budget was too small for a stylist to work with, I decided to instead work to my own brief to style the project. I began looking at smaller clothing sites, particularly in sale sections, which often feature more unusual styles which have not sold as well as other lines. I was unable to find elements of the styles I was looking for so I tried ASOS, to make my search slightly wider.

 Initially I looked at all length of dress, and also two piece sets. I was working to a colour scheme of grey/silver/white for politics, black red and gold for gambling and pink and nude shades for love. You can see in the screenshot above the range of styles I looked at.

 After extensive searching, I found three dresses I believed would be appropriate for the context of my work. They are the correct colours, with interesting cuts and folds which would be appropriate for the avant garde yet historical reference. Although the dresses are quite plain in colour and pattern, adornment will be heavy with a lot of feature jewellery making this more interesting.
 Originally I wanted to purchase only one pair of unusual shoes. As my model is a size 9 this was something I found tricky to even locate, with size 9 being very sparse, particularly in heels. The pair above were unique, with clear beads hanging across the shoes, however I felt the iridescent silver shade was a little too futuristic for what I was looking to complete.


I also looked at hosiery and jewellery. Things quickly came an went out of stock as you can see here, and this sometimes became a challenge, replacing something to the style you originally wanted to receive! I will also be looking in shops for jewellery such as primark, which always has a large selection of artificial pearls and other jewellery I can use for adornement.

No comments:

Post a Comment