Friday 6 February 2015

Final Cage Wig

After trialling the cage structure, I was able to understand that the shape I required needed to have a more curved structure along with height. The last cage was tall but straight, which was not the shape of the avant garde influence on the 18th century I am aiming to complete. 
First I was able to measure the size of my models head (58cm) which I then measured with the copper pipe before cutting it to this length and bending into a basic circle. I did not instantly move it into a more oval shape, as often when welding onto the shape it can knock it out of shape anyway. I then proceeded to bend more circles of metal, this time at a 68cm circumference, which I cut in half. This produced 34cm bended pieces of metal, which I attached to the circular base as the rounded base section of the cage. I strengthened the base considerably, making sure it would be able to endure the amount of hair which will be attached to the wig.
I then repeated the process, however using smaller dimensions - 2 thirds of the measurements used on the larger base section. Securing certain areas of the wig was very difficult, with gaps becoming significantly hard to spot weld. This was a problem I was able to overcome with the assistance of the technicians. I also completed the process wearing PPE which protected my hands from heat, and my eyes from any unwanted sparks flying from the metal.
The cage is absolutely 100% correct for the brief of the project, with the finish and the process being of a higher quality than my SP project, showing a development in my skills with the spot welder. I am proud of the cage, and also am reconsidering one of the designs to even include pieces of exposed metal from the cage, however this is something which is not confirmed. The cage is slightly off to the left hand side, which was a deliberate feature (see designs) to reference the rococo styling, which in most cases means no two sides of a painting/room decor/dress/hair are perfectly reflective of each other. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment