Saturday 21 February 2015

Cage Wig Making Trials

To get an initial idea of the height and style of cage I wanted to create I took to the workshop to trial some styles and shapes I could use to complete this.

 I first wanted to experiment with the base of the wig, which when making my last wigs I concluded was too round, and not a realistic shape of the head. Therefore I first focused on making a round shape, before moving on to look at more 'tear drop' and 'oval' shapes.

 I also began looking at height. I wanted the wig to be dramatically taller than last time, therefore I used a piece of mid weight metal, at 70cm round, therefore measuring 32cm heigh (each side) with a curve of 6cm. The wig was very tall, and the shape I felt was too straight and thin for the 18th century era, but as this was a trial in which I wanted to use to contort the materials and look at structuring I continued with this.

 Also looking at the base of the wig was another subject I wanted to trial different methods of. After fitting my last cage wig, I found that although the tabs worked to serve the correct purpose, they also were still not as secure as I had liked them to be. Therefore I was looking to make some kind of metal structure, that could sit on the head, like a headband almost, holding the wig onto the headshape, prior to the hair being dressed around it. I created a small metal headband shaped structure which I secured onto the cage by welding it. I found this was too sharp and also was balanced too far towards the front of the cage, leaving a large gap at the back of the head. I then worked with smaller bits of metal to create a more organic layer at the bottom of the cage which would fit onto the shape of the head.

Although the cage is a lot more advanced than beforehand, it is completley the wrong shape for the hairstyles I am trying to convey, and also is the wrong shape to fit onto the human head, being too narrow for my own head as well as my models. Therefore I will now be taking it back to the drawing board redesigning the cage to a higher spec yet more accurate to meet my design outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment